Friday, March 20, 2015

Album Review: Minah (Girl's Day) "I Am A Woman Too"

Girl's Day resident cutie and power belter Minah, released her first solo album entitled "I Am a Woman Too." I actually didn't expect this to happen, I know she has an incredible voice plus Girl's Day garnered a lot of attention in the past years making them more popular now, but I was expecting more of a unit from Girl's Day, more like a Sojin & Minah duet or perhaps a Yura & Minah tandem to happen. But none the less, I'm still rooting for these girls, coz I freaking adore them, so here I am listening to my girl Minah as she trails her way into spotlight. Fighting! 


The Ep contains 5 tracks, with 3 original songs and 2 instrumentals. And first up on the list is That's So Weird featuring Kanto of Troy. Upon hearing the  first few seconds, this song automatically reminded me of Tamia's Officially Missing You. I know they don't sound alike that much, but still there were parts of this song especially the guitar strumming that really has the Tamia feels to it. Anywho, the song simply talks about the feeling of being in love; that she feels strange on how she can't stop looking to his pictures, doesn't know what to wear, doesn't know how to react when he's around, and why she misses him all the time. Love is indeed weird right? Haha. Aside from it's cutely written yet straight forward lyrics and it's feel good R&B-ish tempo, I really love Kanto's rap parts in this song, it added flavor to the song making it more interesting to my ears. 


Next is I Am A Woman Too, the EP's title track. First of all, Minah really looks beautiful in the MV, though she looked like she matured way too much her actual age because of her make up and styling, I think she somehow managed to pull it off in her own way and gosh I envy her legs on that video. As a song, I give it a thumbs up, but for being the album's title track, well maybe its a bit no for me. I know she sang it beautifully with all those whisper/falsetto like notes or whatsoever, plus she looked and sounded really sexy which I think serve its sole purpose which is to make Minah more appealing to her adoring fans especially her male fans. But honestly, it sounded like everything was in chaos, and I really am not digging the fan chant like raps on every verse of the song. Furthermore, I'm still on the process of understanding on why there is a "Sing it with me now" and "I love you, love you (well there is nothing wrong with these lyrics per se, but the "eyy's and uh uh"s were disturbing for me) part. I know it made the song more memorable and catchy, but it really threw me off.  I don't know, I am not really feeling it as of the moment.


Third is Colorful, if I were to choose which song I prefer to be the EP's title track, I will definitely pick this one. First, this song really showcased her vocal prowess, unlike the first two songs where it felt like her singing were a little restricted.. Second, when I first heard it, I already know it's the Minah song, something that was really meant for her to sing and perform, coz to me the first two songs especially the title track made me think and feel that Sojin would be a better fit on singing and performing it. Third, this song is lively, cheery and adorable with just Minah singing it, like there is no need for her to look and act very sexy to prove her existence. I mean, her voice and singing abilities were already appealing and sexy so why overdo it right? I also think its better to see her cute and sexy rather than matured and sexy. 


The last 2 songs were instrumentals, so I guess this concludes my review on Minah's first album. Honestly, the album appeals to me like it was rushed and no proper planning was made. I heard that Dream Tea Entertainment said that they have been preparing for Minah's album way before and that preparations were made, but it doesn't appeal to me like they did everything though. Up to this date, I'm still wondering on how, why and when did this all happen, I know, Girl's Day has been in the music industry for quite some time and yes I really think they deserve to at least have solo's or units, but everything really feels rushed and weird. They should have at least released teaser videos of her preparing for the album, not just BAM! Minah will be releasing her first album this March straight to your face. Anywho, even though I still feel weird about it, I will continue to listen to this album, maybe one day I'll get to love everything about it and not feel strange at all.So I guess, its a 7/10 for me. It's a little rough and please for her next EP at least devise a good plan for it. I also think at least this EP has decent and ear worthy words and beats unlike other songs/EP's that I have encountered lately. It also has the Minah feels/vibe to it, which is very girly so I still like it. Since Minah has debuted as a solo artist, I am hoping for a Sojin solo or a unit perhaps? Please! And before I forgot, Congratulations Minah for your debut and Fighting!!

This post is purely based on my opinion and music preferences. No hating please.

No comments:

Post a Comment