Friday, March 20, 2015

Album Review: Donghae & Eunhyuk (Super Junior) "The Beat Goes On"

This is purely based on my opinion and music preferences. No hating please.

Alas! My favorite Super Junior couple Donghae & Eunhyuk (YES! I ship them. Oh, such beautiful creatures.) have finally released their very first physical album entitled "The Beat Goes On." Flashback to 2012, when I first saw them in Oppa, Oppa! Man, these two rocked that yellow and red suits and still manage to be super handsome even they look and act silly. Woot! Anywho, since it was already a very long wait for ELF's especially Eunhae Elf's like me, there is no better way to show my love to them but to indulge my ears with their music and how about I share my insights to other Elf''s as well.  자!!


The album opens with The Beat Goes On, a feel good EDM filled song that to me sounded like a remix/mash up of Bonamana, Sorry Sorry, Sexy Free & Single & Mamacita (for the aya ya part) with a pinch of f(x)'s whimsical music. It even made me think, maybe this song was meant for Super Junior or at least they considered it right? It totally has that Super Junior feels in it.


Next up the album's title track, Growing Pains. It starts off with a soft guitar riff then accompanied by another set of whimsical piano (not really sure though) notes. Donghae's vocals were perfect and on point as well as Eunhyuk's killer rap. The chorus part was definitely an eargasm moment for me, their voices blended perfectly without overpowering one another. And can I just say that I am starting to fall in love with Eunhyuk's voice. Before I always see him as a rapper, but because of this song (actually the EP), I realized I missed a lot and what the hell have I been doing ignoring Eunhyuk's voice this whole time. Ughh! I'm sorry my Anchovy. This song is just perfect for me, nuff said. A trivial note: This song was composed and written by Donghae; not just a beautiful man, he really has talent. I love you Oppa! (fangirling moment!)

D&E continues to cause arrhythmias to my kpop heart with Sweater and Jeans. With a more laid back and a little mellow beat, the boys serenades with lyrics:
"You are my vintage sweater and jeans
Always on my body"
&
"Would you be my forever?
Be my Marilyn, I'll be your James Dean."
Like seriously? Who wouldn't fall for that, right? Ugh! What a tease. Anyway, Eunhyuk continues to mesmerize me with his lovely voice. With no rap parts for this track, this song really showcased both of their sweet voices, and I feel like Eunhyuk is singing his parts effortlessly than Donghae. Haha


Breaking Up, a very interesting break up track opens up in a very opera like manner, with string instruments setting its beat then gradually catches into a groovy disco tempo. How can a break up song be this groovy and feel good, right? But then realization strikes, it's kpop, nothing is impossible so might as well live with it. Plus I really like it, though its about breaking up, the beat itself is really addicting. 

Lights, Camera, Action!, Okay, this is current morning prep jam. It really gets me all pumped up and ready to start the day and YES, I put my hands up when "LET ME SEE YOUR HANDS UP" plays. Why not? Its hella catchy and really gets me going. And I also feel like I'm partying with them whenever this song plays. Haha! So YOLO!


Next is Can You Feel It?, when I first heard of it, I know this is going to be another Oppa Oppa! moment for me. And yes, my boys didn't disappoint me. So yesterday, as I am doing my youtube browsing, I saw this thumbnail "150315 Super junior D&E - Can You Feel It @ M! Countdown", clicked on it and BAM! flashback and memories of my obsession and fangirling during the Oppa Oppa days. I honestly can't find the right words to describe my happiness seeing them super cute with their little pigtails on. Kyaaa!! Though the song is basically the least of being beautifully written in this EP with its repetitive lyrics and other mindless elements on it, this song for me is still entertaining both in my eyes and ears, I guess its better not to google about the lyrics so it wouldn't spoil the fun and of course the feels. Haha!

Wrapping things up and another Donghae masterpiece brought to life is Mother. A heartwarming ballad  full of gratitude and love dedicated for their mothers. With sweet lyrics like:
Love you Mother, I love you
Like no other, I thank you
Now I'll be your strength and return that big smile
Im pretty sure, every mother or woman who heard this will feel warm and loved inside. Oh! Donghae, you really are the sweetest. I also like, the almost acapella part, where I imagined Donghae and Eunhyuk singing this is front of their moms then a choir pops out singing the song with them clapping, swaying and moving in similar directions. By the way, I heard Eunhyuk's mom despised Donghae before because Donghae is always trolling on Eunhyuk, with this song I hope her feelings towards Donghae would soften at least. Haha. 

I'm giving this a 9/10. I really love and waited for this album for such a long time. To me this album gave me what I expected it to be, though there were little bumps and missed turns, I really think they have provided an ear-worthy album that will be on my playlist for a very long time. And I still can't help myself on obsessing with Eunhyuk's voice, so yes this album sure is a keeper. Another thing that I really liked about this album is that, it never made me feel bored while listening to it, there were different music elements in it that really made me hit the repeat button multiple times. I already know in my guts, that this EP will do real good in any music program or even in record sales, so I'm congratulating them in advance. All I wish is for them is to continue making good music and please grant us, the Eunhae Elf's our eternal wish which is for the two of you to live happily ever after. Haha. Kiddin'. Again, Kudos Donghae and Eunhyuk.

A's recommended tracks: "Growing Pains", Sweater and Jeans", "Breaking Up"

No comments:

Post a Comment