Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Album Review: Amber (f(x)) "Beautiful"

It was in the last quarter of 2014, when my sister told me that Amber of f(x) will be having a solo debut on 2015. At first I was "Are you serious? Amber?? Not Krystal or Luna?? Well let's be honest, Amber is definitely one of the "underrated idols" there is, so upon hearing that of course its really hard to believe right? But she just said, "Yes, its Amber!"

And so, we patiently waited, until finally last February 12, SM Entertainment officially released Amber's very first mini album, entitled "Beautiful". So without further ado shall we start?

P.S. This is purely based on my opinion. Either you agree or disagree, its your own choice, just no hating please :)


First up, Beautiful, when I first heard of this song, I had goosebumps all over my body. Yes, I've heard Amber sing beautifully in A Song For You multiple times using her guitar but this song is different and definitely raise the bar higher. Never did I expect that f(x)'s resident tomboy rapper can pull off such sweet and soft voice. It was very surreal. How can SM Entertainment deprived its listeners of these beautiful voice by just giving her rap parts in all f(x)'s songs (really SM Ent? why so unfair tsk tsk). Through this song, I've got to see and hear Amber's different side. Her sweet, soft and fragile side, which I really like by the way, plus the words she used for this song were beautifully composed and arranged that it really reflects her. It really is amazingly pleasant to see and hear the quirky Amber that we all loved and cherish being so delicate like a flower, feminine and a little fragile.


Next is Shake That Brass, okay folks, I'll be honest, I know that this song is hella catchy and good. In fact an LSS worthy track for me, the horn/trot sound, the na na na na, everything. It also makes me want to sing and dance every time I hear this song, but (Yes, its a but), this song for me is really out of place in the album, it somehow ruined the balance of the album a little. It has a very upbeat and dancy tempo which is very different among the other tracks in this album, plus this song did not showcased Amber's beautiful and soft voice (which I am addicted to right now). One more thing is that, I really think featuring Taeyeon for this song didn't make the song better or more beautiful, in fact Amber singing this track alone is already ear worthy, so I'm sorry Taeyeon (Taeyeon stans and SONE's as well). I also have this feeling that Taeyeon was featured here for promotion purposes only. (I know Amber said she was a fan of Taeyeon thats why she asked her to sing for this song, but still I'm sticking to what I feel, peace :))

The third and one of my favorites, Love Run. Everytime this song plays, I see myself, in the middle of the crowd dancing next to the person who is very dear to me while Amber sings softly with her mic stand and a live band. For some unknown reason, this song gives me the feeling of attending my very first prom and my man and I dances cutely and sweet to this song haha ( Am I weird?) It just feels so romantic to me, like love is definitely in the air feeling. Hahaha. The lyrics are very beautiful too, she is waiting and longing for someone, though it may take long or she may feel tired of waiting, still she will run and chase for that love. It may sound a little sad and empty at first, still it makes you feel that love gives hope and without a doubt there is hope in love. And one more thing, the melody and those beautiful words really suit the song perfectly.


Next is Heights, another upbeat tempo track, but unlike Shake that Brass, this song gives of a more smooth and relax vibe to it. It also gives the same feeling I always have when listening to Ariana Grande's Break Free, the feeling of you want to sing and belt with all those whispery Ariana notes. And this song certainly had those little Ariana notes, and kudos to Amber for singing those effortlessly, thumbs up for that girl! Haha. Well aside from singing it perfectly, I also think the lyrics of this song are very poetic and has a very optimistic meaning, which I really really love. Here's my favorite part by the way:

Here I go, I can’t stop, here I go
I’m starting inside a place where there is no beginning or end
So here I go, don’t hesitate, have faith
So here I go, fulfill the dreams you want, climb higher up there

I Just Wanna, a duet with Eric Nam. Truth is, I've never heard of Eric Nam nor any of his songs before, not until I saw him as a guest in Running Man. (Man! That episode was deabak! It was super funny especially during the Mud Party Part Haha) After hearing the first few seconds of the song, I was taken aback and said, "Wait, I've heard this before!" and my guts were right, this song is the english version of f(x)'s Goodbye Summer featuring DO of EXO in their Pink Tape album. Well how can I really forgot this song, it was my favorite from that album next to Shadow of course. But this time, the song had more positive tone and lyrics to it, more like a "love" love song, coz Goodbye Summer was really heartbreaking. I also like this duet better than the original, Im not hating Luna and DO, its just that Amber and Eric Nam's version was just so sweet and relatable, not only because of its cheesy lyrics but their voices were really perfect and complemented each other. I also like how simple the choice of words were, everything was written and sung on a very straight forward manner. I really hope to see them perform this song live on stage or even make a simple video for it. Please. 


In summary, I'm giving this a 7.5/10. I still couldn't believe that Amber had that sweet soft voice all along, I'm a little disappointed in SM Entertainment for taking her talent for granted. It is indeed a very good debut album for her, it really did show another side of her which I really think is a bold move and an awesome one. Who could have thought that quirky and jolly Amber can be delicate and sweet Amber right?? I also would like to see her promote other songs from this album, not just "Shake that Brass" which I totally think made this album off. Please promote I Just Wanna and Love Run too. Though its already given, I'm still hoping to see more of Amber in the future, an acoustic EP maybe? Hahaha. And please collaborate with Eric Nam again. Hahaha. And before I forgot, Amber is certainly a not just a good singer but an awesome songwriter too. I really hope to hear more of her self composed songs in the future. 

A's recommended tracks: "Love Run", "I Just Wanna"

PS If you like my reviews and want me to review other artist's album, feel free to leave a comment. Thanks :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment