Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Album Review: Infinite H (Dongwoo & Hoya of Infinite) 2nd Mini Album "Fly Again"

Finally, after two long years, Infinite H, my favorite kpop hip hop duo so far, is back with their second mini entitled "Fly Again". It contains seven tracks with "Pretty" as its title track.


So, where do I start? How about sharing how happy and excited I am about this album? Well first, Thank goodness, the long wait is finally over and yes, two years is a very long time, Woollim! Haha. I can still remember those days, when I've read about countless articles/rumors of Infinite H's comeback in 2014, then only to find out that they will only be having one track on Infinite's Season 2 album and no album nor a single comeback performance for them (sigh). So when, Woolliment announced their comeback this month, I was really happy and excited for I can once again see my precious Dongwoo rap, sing and dance. I know he usually do these things together with Infinite, but there is something in Infinite H, that makes me see him differently, it's like he really owns the stage, he gives out more awesome performances,he looks more manly and sexy,and he looks genuinely happy plus I can focus more all of my love for him since Sungyeol (my ultimate Infinite bias) is not around and of course more air time for him, which makes me more happy hahaha (Dongwoo Overload, Yes!). Dongwoo is my bias wrecker in Infinite by the way. Haha. So I hope you will all understand.

Until now, I am still listening and a fan of their first mini album, Fly High, I really love their songs "Without You" and "Special Girl" Hahaha. So, I am hoping that this album is similar or even better than the first one. Let's see, shall we? (P.S. This is once again purely subjective, No Hating Please :))


First up is "Fly Again" featuring DJ IT, this is the intro track of the album. The first time I heard this track, I was really getting the hip hop feel of the album. This track itself left me with good impressions and expectations of the whole album itself.


Next is "Pretty", this album's title track. This song reminded me of Special Girl from their first mini album, Fly High. It gives out a relaxing yet exciting vibe that Special Girl has, only this time I think Pretty is more fun to hear. I also think it is a perfect title song for this album, its refreshing, certainly feels good to hear and definitely catchy especially the oh la la la part. Haha. Hoya's flirty voice/tone really suits the chorus of the song while Dong Woo's sweet vocals compliments it. I really like how simple and laid-back this song is, from its lyrics down to its beats and melody, even the way they deliver their rap lines and their cute sexy dancing, its just so fun to hear and watch. Ahh! I really can't help but smile while listening to this track. It feels so damn good.

Im Not Going Anywhere featuring Yang Da Il. Everytime I listen to songs of Infinite, Tasty or Lovelyz, there will always be this one distinctive track that you can point out and say, "Oh! This is definitely Woollim", like a Woollim Quality Seal. For some reason, these songs have this old, disco, 70's to 80's feeling to it, and this track in particular, is one of them. Aside from this song being the "Woollim Sealed" track of this album, when I first heard this song, I really thought Woohyun was featured in this track. Im sorry, its just that Yang Da Il and Woohyun sounded so similar here. Haha. Also, I know this song may not sound very hip hop-y, mainly because of its disco vibe to it, but I still like this song, mainly because of Dong Woo's rap part. I know I'm being bias right now, but I really love Dong Woo's tone when he raps, it sounds so lazy, rough and manly to me, like the voice of a person who just woke up from a good night sleep. Hahaha. Truth be told, I really think that the "morning voice" is the sexiest tone of voice ever for me Haha.

Next is Collide/Life Goes On, featuring Soo Jung of Lovelyz. One, kudos to Soo Jung, her voice really suits this track and she delivered it perfectly. Second, I like how this song sounded so soft and mellow, like an acapella. It's refreshing, right?  Third, the lyrics and its meaning, this song is about them talking about their past, their hardships of being a student, a trainee, a dreamer, and now as Infinite H. I think this song was written to inspire, that no matter how hard life is, even when the whole world is up and against you, just bump against it and just go with the flow.

Im Busy, Sorry, a straight hip hop track featuring Swings and Champagne of Champagne & Candle. According to an article from Allkpop, this song was deemed inappropriate for broadcast by KBS due to cursing, slang and vulgar language used in the lyrics. Well, its true, but let's be honest here, these stuff makes a hip hop track unique from other music genres right? Its just them being honest. Truth is, I am not in any way offended by the lyrics used in this track, in fact I really find these words true and entertaining. It's hip hop, its normal to hear an artist curse and brag about everything that he/she had. Hahaha. How can you deprive the audience with such a great song, I really think its good and the beat is awesome, This track also reminds me of Kanye West's  All of the Lights and Chris Brown's Look at Me Now, the beat is somehow similar don't you think? And please don't be a hypocrite KBS :))


Next is Jekyll and Hyde featuring Taewan. It is just me or did everyone else heard people shouting or even fighting in the background? Ha ha. Then a random thought came into my mind, maybe this song is about breaking up with someone you love, so I immediately searched for this track's english translation, and I guess I was right. This song is about a guy thinking and believing that he is better off without his girl, but at the end of the day he realized that he misses her and his longing for her. Ohh, they are showing off their soft side. Hmmm interesting!!

Crazy/Only If You Are Crazy featuring Sanchez of Phantom, the last track from this album. I think this track is a continuation of Jekyll and Hyde, it has the same beat and tempo and yes, another heart breaking song from our boys, but this time the lyrics are darker and painful. A song about a cheating girl, damn! Why girl!! Why do that to my precious Dong Woo! Hahaha Anyway, I think these last two songs brought out Infinite H's soft and mature side. They are not just talking about love in general, but also the complicated sides of love like cheating and pride. They really are growing and becoming more manly and mature! Ack!!So much feels!! :p


In summary, I'm giving this an 8/10. Mianhe if I may have not share much about the songs and the album in general like my previous posts, well maybe because I'm still in cloud nine while listening to my boys (hahaha), but I really love this album. The long wait was definitely worth it and it is a good follow up of their first mini album. I also think, Hoya's singing improved a lot in this album, same to Dongwoo as well. There is no doubt, this album will rank high on charts. I'm hoping it will also get the recognition it deserves. Fighting Infinite H! Fighting Inspirits!!

A's recommended tracks: "Pretty", "Collide", "I'm Busy, Sorry"

"I know, I'm not a good writer, so please just bear with me. Kamsamnida"

No comments:

Post a Comment