Sunday, January 18, 2015

Album Review: JONGHYUN (SHINee) 1st Mini Album "BASE"

Last December, SM Entertainment announced that Kim Jonghyun of my ultimate bias group SHINee will be releasing his very first mini album. He is the second SHINee member to release a solo album following SHINee's Maknae Taemin (ACE) and finally last January 12, 2015, "BASE" was relased. Yey!


In the past days, I've been listening to this album repeatedly and yes, this album is addicting in so many ways and levels (haha). So how about I share my thoughts about this album. (P.S. This is based purely on my opinion, no hating please :))


Deja-Boo is one of the two title tracks in this album. It is pre-released track and has garnered a lot of attention even before the official release of the album itself.  This song definitely showcased Jonghyun's beautiful voice mixed with overflowing sexiness in his tone. I just cant get the "La la la la la" part off my head, it's just so good and relaxing to hear.

The second track is, Crazy (Guilty Pleasure), truth is I can't listen to this song without watching its offical MV. Call me perverted, but it just feels like something is missing if I can't see Jonghyun's perfect body while he sings every lyrics of this track. (It's getting hot in here. Haha)

Next is Hallelujah, Jonghyun really got me saying hallelujah in this track. I really like how honest the lyrics are and I really love the chorus part wherein it feels he was singing with a group of angels, with their choir-like voices.


Love Belt, is a duet with Younha (her voice reminded me of Lim Kim, I really am not familiar with her, but I guess she is definitely worth looking for)  I find this track very relaxing, it also give me the coffee shop feel/ambiance while listening to it. I feel like everytime I listen to this song, I am drinking my favorite cup of coffee while reading my favorite book and just letting the hours pass by.

Neon, one of my favorite tracks in this album. In my head, I see Jonghyun in a suit and tie with his "dream girl" mic stand as he sings this track in front of me and don't forget his sexy dance moves of course. Haha. I like how this song started from soft and slow into a more upbeat tempo.

MONO-Drama, my ultimate favorite track in this album. This songs brings me back to the SHINee's debut days. It gives me the feeling that I am listening to old SHINee songs like "Replay and Love's Way (The SHINee World Album) whenever this track is playing on my ipod. I also love how his voice conveys the meaning and the emotions/feeling of this song. Definitely hit the reply button multiple times for this track.


Beautiful Tonight, I personally think that this song lacks something, I just can't tell what it is, but none the less the falsetto plus the sexy whistling made me hit the repeat button for this song. Haha.

Fortune Cookie, a hidden track on this EP, I honestly think this is the weakest track in this album. A short track that feels like it's still in its process to be completed.


In summary, I give this album a 8/10, I really love most of it tracks in it and I still can't help myself from listening to this album again and again. I think I can hear elements of Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake and Mike Posner while listening to this EP, with all those falsettos and sexy feels. Hahaha. My dear Jonghyun worked hard for this album and I think his hard work really payed off. He did produce something that is purely his own and kudos to his writing skills as well. I am also hoping and looking forward to his next EP,so this better not be the last one SMEnt. And lasty, please bring SHINee back, one year is enough. Hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment