Monday, April 13, 2015

Album Review: CLC (Crystal Clear) "First Love"

In one of my previous blog post (The A-List: My Top 3 Most Awaited KPOP Group Debuts of 2015), I said that I am looking forward for Cube Entertainment's new girl group CLC, and now that they had already debuted and released their first mini album "First Love", there is no better way to show my support and love for them but to give my honest review on their EP. I know, its pretty late since it's almost a month since their debut. Truth is, I lost track of time because I was really busy at work especially during the Holy Week. Being a public safety officer during a week long holiday was hella tiring and busy, so I have to set aside my blogging in order for me to focus on my work. But none the less, since it was all over now, I can finally write and share my thoughts that I had kept since last week and to start with, here is my review on CLC's first mini album, First Love.
First track off the album is Cafe Mocha Please, a jazzy funk track with a touch of disco. The first thing I did noticed not only to this song but to the whole EP itself, is that CLC sounded mature yet cute at the same time, and this song proved my observation. First, the beat of a song sounded very jazzy and disco-ish, and based on most of the girl groups who debuted this year, its either you sound annoyingly cute or awkwardly sexy, but with this kind of beat, I think neither of the two will do good for this track, so I really am impressed on how CLC delivered this track. It has the perfect balance of being cute and sexy (more of mature actually), thus making it sound like you're watching a special musical performance rather than just a typical intro track for the album. This track really gave me a good impression and somehow raise my expectation of the whole EP itself. 
Next up, EP's title track Pepe. The song started out with a simple repetitive piano note and a lot of finger snapping or was it clapping? not sure, anywho it somehow reminded me of a little showgirl/dreamgirl/musical performance because of its jazzy feeling and their vocal tones. It then catches up to a more upbeat dancy tune with the additions of drums, trot and of course their cute "Hubiruae Pepe". As a title track, I'm giving this a thumbs up. Its incredibly catchy and they showcased something I haven't seen for a long time, which is the perfect mix of cute and sexy, coz I honestly am fed up of the cutesy girl groups popping out everywhere, and the disturbingly sexy groups are way worse. The song and CLC itself both have the right amount of acceptable cuteness and sexy teasing (the vocals have this some kind of sexiness and maturity, especially Seung Hee's), which i think is a good combo and they really showcased it with this song. I sometimes think they are the perfect hybrid of APink and 4Minute, which I think is good, its like having both your 2 most favorite ice cream flavors in one, and who doesn't want that right? The only thing that I didn't like with this song were the wardrobe choices in the music video, I am so not pleased with that "black cheer leader one piece dress and that awful pink varsity jacket," it really threw me off, but other than that I think everything was great, especially the maknae's rap part, coz I am really impressed with her, she even sounded better to other rappers who debuted way earlier than her. 
As I've said, they were like the perfect hybrid of both APink and 4Minute, and with this next song Sharala, their APink genes and feels really shines through. When I first heard of it, I really thought it was an APink song, but then I heard Seung Hee's beautiful voice. Oh dear, she is becoming my bias wrecker, I really like Sorn but her voice is just, ughh! I can't help but listen to it. Anywho, I consider this song as my favorite in the album so far, its light and magical, like the feeling of being in love, which I personally think of as a really magical feeling. Coz when you're in love, no matter how bad your day is, you still feel good and happy right? I also like how innocent and honest the lyrics were, though it talks about having her very first kiss, I know its not an innocent topic, but the way they tell the story its really sweet and innocent to hear. In summary, I just love this song, because it made me feel loved as well.
First Love. CLC strips it down a little more, with an acoustic guitar and some percussion instruments the girls serenades once again with their soft voices. Everytime I hear this song it takes me back to their pre-debut days, where they used perform in the streets of Hongdae. First love gives off that nostalgic feeling, where they would line up, each other holding their own instruments and sing their hearts out as people passed by or stop and sing with them. As I listen to the song, I feel warm and cozy inside just like their pre-debut days, where they sing softly in the streets of Hongdae even though its winter and yet people feel warm and cozy by just listening to them. 
Open the Window, the last track off the album. Amongst all the tracks off the album which were all about the goodness of love, this track took on a different path and talked about the bitterness of love, separation. By just listening to it even without looking to its english translation I already know and felt that it will be a sad song about love. Seung Hee and Seung Yoon sounded very emotional and lonely, and Yee Eun's rap also gives off that sad and bitter feeling of separation. I can see myself listening to this song during the rainy days where I just want to tuck myself in bed and listen to mellow songs all day.
In summary, I giving this EP a 7.5/10. It has some of the things that I expected them to be and they also showcased things that I was missing for a long time. In terms of their vocal skills and talent, there is no doubt Cube Entertainment did a pretty decent job in training them, they really did sound and look like pro's and even better among other established girl groups. The only thing that I think is lacking in them is their group identity, for some reason I think they haven't completely established the main concept of their group since I really see them as either APink or 4Minute. I know I have said that it's good to be compared and be seen as these 2 successful groups, but being seen as a copy of something will not guarantee a group's success in the future, or it can even torn them apart. I hope in the coming days, they can finally establish the group's real and final concept. I really think these girls are amazingly talented and I hope their talent will not go to waste. I also would like to see more of them in the future and I hope for them to continue honing their individual talents for them to shine even more and also have the attention and support they deserve. Fighting CLC!

A's recommendations: "Pepe" "Sharala" "First Love"

No comments:

Post a Comment